Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Another Perspective of the Launch of Project Jeevan

My third real day in India, July 4th, brought with it another completely new experience. The staff and interns, including myself, arrived in Vrindavan that morning to greet a small group of widows who were already sitting, their white cotton saris surrounding them, their bodies small and frail. As each new woman came they were given a dish and once they were all there and seated the food was served. Soon the room was filled with music as the nearly 200 widows began to sing in perfect unison; their weak bodies contrasting with their strong voices. That moment was one I know I will never forget. The realism of what I was doing and the true hardships of these women hit me then as each voice chanted in a language foriegn to my ears. It was heartbreaking, but also very beautiful.
After their meal, the widows had the oppurtunity to go see the doctor. I found this a wonderful plan for the project since the widows are in such need of medical treatment. Almost every woman there, young and old, suffered from arthritis and felt constant aches and pains. We were able to supply medicine as well as referals to a nearby hospital.
I'm happy that I was able to do my part to help these women who have been left with virtually nothing after the loss of their husbands. It definitely showed me a world different from my own and taught me more about the culture. I was so grateful for the oppertunity to get a first hand look at this ongoing project and I am excited to see what else India has in store for me.
-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment