Saturday, March 12, 2011

Here Comes the Sun and Other Simple Things


It is starting to get warm here in Delhi. It was well into the 80s today and is only supposed to get hotter next week. It is kind of nice skipping winter.

I did not do any major traveling this week. But too be honest I am getting a little tired of sight seeing. I actually enjoy the simple things the most. Check out the picture of the flower. That was given to me today by one of the girls I help tutor. Since I had no plans today I decided to walk to the train reservation center and book some tickets to Jaipur. On my way I went past the slum where the kids we tutor live by the Maitri office. As I strolled along I suddenly heard the calling of small voices. "Paiya!" (brother). Out of nowhere came the children. They ran with hands waving and with broad smiles on their beautiful faces. I called back to them, "paiya, deedee (sister)!" They came over and shook my hand. We talked together as much as our language barrier allowed us. As I continued on my way they waved and called until I was out of sight. I carried the small flower with me the whole day. Yes, it is the simple things that are the greatest.
I am a firm believer in slack lining. For those of you who do not know what slack lining is just imagine tightrope walking on 1" tubular webbing. I seriously think it could bring peace to the world. Just throw a slack line across the DMZ and soon Koreans from both sides would join in smiling. I try to get out a least once a week and do some slack lining. It always brings a crowd of curious people to see the crazy, bearded, white kid walking 2-3 feet above the ground. After some initial shyness they usually try it out. Smiles and laughter always follow. You should see the kids who in live in the apartment complex line up when I bring out my slack line. Good times.

I should also pay tribute to one of the new boys who comes to our tutoring program. He is one of three brothers. One of the brothers is about as disruptive as they come, but is a wonderful scoundrel. Whenever I give him a math problem he automatically declares "easy!" Even if he does not know how to do it. His brother, however, is as quiet as they come. He sits alone at the end of the table not saying a word. He never fails to wear a red baseball cap. I found out why this week. He has brain cancer and there is a very large depression the size of an orange in the side of his head resulting from surgery. His voice is soft. His words come out like they are a struggle to utter. His legs tremble as he slowly walks up the stairs to go home. But his mind is good, his eyes are honest, and his desire to learn is strong. What a kid. If there is one person that I have met here in India, or anywhere else I have been, that I deeply admire, it is this boy

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing this informative information which I am searching for last 6 month. Very informative with full of article.

    My blog site: Avow Zone

    ReplyDelete