Wednesday, March 30, 2011

India Found

I feel like I have finally found India. It is a hard thing to grasp, India. It is a constantly changing chaotic mass of tradition, modernity, humanity, and nature. It would take a life time to fully experience and understand. However, I feel like I came closer to comprehending the soul of India this week than I have in the past three months. Over the weekend I joined two of Maitri's staff members, Priyanka and Anita, and returned to Vrindavan. I wish I could sum up the experience in a orderly way. Perhaps with a single statement. But just like summing up India in a single sentence, that is impossible for me to do. I will just have to share the events as they occurred. With no common theme running through them.

On the morning we arrived I was blessed to find a spare hour in which I could wander. Those of you who know me well know that I love to wander. I found myself walking down a dirt road that led out of town. In no time I was on a country road far away from the noise and pollution of the city. It was just me, the occasional farmer tending his field, water buffalo bathing in the waterholes, and the peacocks. Ah the peacocks. There is something magical about a peacocks cry. Mournful in a way. Even though I was only able to walk that road for a brief forty minutes I found peace there. I felt the stress and wear of three months time fade away. I felt connected with the world.
We went to the Ashram were some of the widows live that Maitri supports. Bless those wonderful mothers. Wonderful women. They are so much more than the label of marginalized widows implies. They have such a wonderful sweetness about them. They are filled with humor and good nature. Their souls are bright. Although I was able to serve them food again, the majority of my time was spent taking pictures of the widows for Maitri. How they love getting their picture taken. Smiles spread across wrinkled faces as they see pictures of themselves. One reached out to me and embraced me.
I was blessed to spend the night at the home of the man who runs the projects in Vrindavan. I apologize ahead of time for not knowing the spelling of his name, but will update this blog as soon as I know it. He lives in a village a good 50K from Vrindavan. It took us a bike rickshaw ride, auto-rickshaw ride, and bus ride to reach it. He introduced me to his mother, sister, wife, and sons. They are a wonderful family. He and I slept in the guest room. When the morning came I woke up to the cry of peacocks. In no time my host began introducing me to the entire village. They were such friendly people. So hospitable and eager for me to return. I hope I am able to. That was India. Even though great historical events have occurred. Empires have risen and fallen. Cities and economies grow. India is in the villages and has been for thousands of years.
If you have been following this blog then you by now probably know that I have developed a love for camels. They are fantastic animals. Much bigger than I ever imagined. They walk with a sort of grace they I did not expect. Very chill. I was lucky enough to ride one. There was some kind of fair happening. The camels were out. Ferris wheels and other rides filled the market. The smaller ones were powered by young men. The small childrens' roller coaster had no brakes besides a young man who grabbed it a stopped it by planting his heels into the platform. Later in the night we joined a procession with the God Vishnu. There is a massive walled temple in Vrindavan. Once a year Vishnu is brought out and his taken through the city to meet the God Hanuman. We joined the singer priests, musicians, holy men, and worshipers in the night procession.

On a minor note I fought a monkey. Not the monkey in the picture. I just thought that one was interesting because he has one blue eye and one green eye. Monkeys are everywhere in Vrindavan. The Monkey decided he wanted my banana. But I was hungry and wanted my banana for breakfast. He jumped up and pushed me in the chest. I chased him around. After minutes of staring each other down we shared the banana. By the way, the monkey in the picture is not behind bars. It was my first time looking at a monkey where I was the one behind the bars.
I went running later on in the week and I ran into a man taking his elephant for a walk. Have you ever pet an elephant? They have the toughest skin I have ever felt. Absolutely amazing creatures. Camels, monkeys, peacocks, elephants, and cows. (I pet some cows too) What an amazing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment